Colleges Week 2009 is almost upon us. Taking place from the 9 - 15th November, the week long event is designed to celebrate the opportunities colleges create for individuals, businesses and Britain.
This year as part of the celebrations a nationwide competition is being launched called ‘I’m running the show’. The competition is calling on students to submit a video, up to 2 minutes, of what they would do if they were ‘running the show’ for a day. Students are invited to answer the question in any way and as creatively as they’d like, from a simple speech or presentation to a song and dance routine; from an animation to a practical demonstration of the skills you are learning. Winning students will get the chance to talk tactics with Sven-Göran Eriksson, go behind the scenes of the British Space Industry or learn how a national magazine is put together.
Students can submit their video up until 31st October via the Colleges week website http://collegesweek.org/index.php?page=competition The Competition is open to all students currently enrolled on a college course at a general or tertiary further education College, sixth form College or specialist College in England
• Heading on set – Hollyoaks is one of Channel 4’s most popular TV programmes. Gain the chance to go on set and meet cast and crew to find out what it takes to be part of the UK’s hardworking media industry.
• Shadowing Sven-Göran Eriksson – Sven-Göran Eriksson is the director of football at Notts County and former manager of England. Spend a match day getting the inside track on what it takes to work in the football industry.
• Exploring the UK space industry – chat with an astronaut and take a tour with the British National Space Centre to see space equipment being built.
• Going behind the scenes of a theatre – find out what it takes to be at the cutting edge of UK theatre with Shared Experience theatre company as they build up to the opening of ‘The Caucasian Chalk Circle’.
• Reading between the lines at a top magazine – Top Santé is one of the UK’s most popular health and beauty magazines. Find out how an issue of the publication is put together, from photo shoot to page layout.
• Reaching for the skies – spend a day with the chief executive of BAA Airports and find out what life is like at the top of a leading airport company.
• Treading the corridors of power – find out how the decisions are made that affect our everyday lives with an in-depth visit to the UK Parliament.
• Mighty oaks from little acorns grow - The 5,000 acres of historic royal parkland provide unparalleled opportunities for enjoyment, exploration and healthy living in the heart of the capital. Spend the day with the Chief Executive exploring how they combine culture and conservation.
• This is not just any prize… - spend a day with Sir Stuart Rose, Chief Executive of Marks & Spencer.
To enter or for more information visit http://collegesweek.com/index.php?page=competition